Print friendly page
- Minimum Age: 14
- Course Duration: Minimum of 34 Guided Learning Hours
- Course Prerequisites: Completion of pre-course activity packNone
- Who is it for: This course is open to anyone who is interested in officiating 11 a side or 9 v 9 football.
- Course aims and objectives: The Referees Course provides participants with an insight to the laws of the game and their practical application on the field of play. It also looks at the skills required to be a referee.
- Leading to: Registered Referee Status (either level 8 Youth Referee or Level 7 Junior County Referee)
The course consists of 6 clear units with the following elements:
Unit 1 - Registration and Pre Course Activity
Unit 2-4 - Practical Delivery and Evaluation of Performance:
- The Key skills required to be a football referee
- Theoretical information of the 17 laws of the game
- Practical work covering implementation of the laws
- The art of Positioning and movement
- Management strategies and ideas on effective decision-making
- Effective reporting misconduct
- Evaluation of performance and Assessment Of Knowledge
Unit 5 - Officiating 5 games of 11v11 or 9v9 gamesAssessment of Experiences:
- Reviewing and receiving Feedback
Unit 6 - Final assessment/theory examination:
- Examination of knowledge of Laws Of The Game
- Plan for what happens next
PLEASE NOTE: The dates indicated on the course booking cover only the first 4 Units of learning. Unit 5 requires the candidate to track the practical implementation of their lessons in a match environment, and Unit 6, the Final Assessment, can only be completed once that has been evidenced.
Either the Safeguarding Football on line learning resource or where applicable the workshop will be completed. A CRC check will be instigated during the course, where applicable.
Practical Involvement: Candidates are required to participate practically to maximise their opportunities for learning.
Assessment: Assessment is via successful completing the Assessment of Knowledge (theory & practical) in Unit 6.
Suggested additional learning opportunities:
- FA Mini Football Referees Course
- Small Sided referee Course
- Futsal Referee Course
- Referee Mentoring Workshop
Equality: FA Learning will ensure that it treats people fairly and with respect and that it will provide access and opportunities for all members of the community to take part in, and enjoy, it's activities in an atmosphere free from harassment, bullying, discrimination or abuse. FA Learning will seek to provide a service which is appropriate to the needs of an individual and to make reasonable adjustments or provide support, where appropriate, to cater for those needs.
The FA Referee Course with Worcestershire FA
PLEASE NOTE: If you are looking to complete the course for college studies or voluntary awards such as Duke of Edinburgh, this IS NOT the course for you. Learners are expected to actively referee on a regular basis upon completion of the Referee Course.
You must attend an Introduction Evening with Worcestershire FA before booking on to this course
This practical course will include 5 units and an appraisal on practical methods of refereeing plus a multiple choice exam on the Laws of Association Football.
You will be required to complete a pre-course booklet prior to the course start date - this will be sent to you in the week leading up to the first date.
Candidates aged 16 or over must have a valid FA CRC certificate and an FA Safeguarding Children certificate (or obtain these before completion of the course).
The whole course will take place at the same venue. The dates of the course are:
Sunday 3rd February 2019- 9am-4pm
Thursday 7th February 2019- 7pm-9pm
Sunday 10th February 2019 - 9am-4pm
Thursday 11th February 2019 - 7pm-9pm
Learners must attend all dates - failure to do so will result in removal from the course and all bookings are non-refundable for non-attendance.
Places are initially limited to learners living in Worcestershire. Any remaining places will be opened up to learners living outside Worcestershire 2 weeks before the course start date. If you live outside Worcestershire and enrol on the course before this time you will be removed without warning.
Part of this course will include refereeing five 11v11 or 9v9 games to obtain fully qualified status. Full details will be provided on the course.
On attending the final session and successfully completing the examination, learners will become a qualified referee (level 7 if over 16 or level Y if under 16).
YOUR QUALIFICATION IS NOT COMPLETE UNTIL THIS HAS BEEN UNDERTAKEN
The cost of the course is £130 and this price includes:
• A copy of the latest Laws of the Game booklet
• An interactive DVD on the Laws of the Game
• A pre-course study programme (Unit 1)
• All course materials
• FA registration fee for one season
• A referee whistle
• A set of red/yellow cards & holder
• Five 9v9/11v11 matches
• A list of League contacts
• A certificate of qualification following an initial five 11v11 or 9v9 games and the successful passing of a final examination on the Laws of The Game
• FA Referee badge
• The services of FA Referee Mentor
Provision of the above ensures that delegates are fully equipped to referee following the course.
We endeavour to provide all trainee referees with a mentor for at least 2 of your 5 initial games a referee (although this is optional). You will receive further information regarding this during the course.
NOTE: All bookings are non-refundable.
Please note to access this online application, you will need a FAN (FA Number).
If have ever been involved in football or taken an FA Qualification, it is highly likely you already have a FAN.
If you do not know your FAN or password, or need to create a FAN, please use our FAN FINDER tool by clicking to register/retrieve your details.
Please be aware that if you already have a FAN, and create another FAN, this could cause delays in being confirmed on the course and any qualifications being awarded.
If the FAN Finder says you haven't got a FAN, and you think you have, then please click here for a full guide on how to locate it.
Please enter your unique FAN and password below: