FA Referee Course
COURSE KEY INFORMATION
This Referee Course will run on the following dates:
- Tuesday 22nd February 1pm-4:15pm
- Friday 25th February 9am-5pm
Before Proceeding with this booking the following online learning must be completed -
- Online Laws of the Game Modules
- Online Safeguarding Course
Online Learning (Laws of the Game Modules)
The online learning has five sections (modules) and will take approximately 90 minutes to complete. There are lots of videos to demonstrate how the Laws should be applied, activities to help reinforce the important points and, at the end of each module, there are some questions to test what you’ve learned.
The online learning can be accessed at https://falearning.thefa.com/course/view.php?id=1804
If you are under the age of 16, you might find the information at the refereeing help centre useful when logging in.
- Module 1 – Before the Match
- Module 2 – Signals and Communication
- Module 3 – ‘Getting it Right’
- Module 4 – Offside
- Module 5 – Managing Restarts and Set-Pieces
FA Safeguarding Course
The FA Referee Course is designed to equip new referees with the key skills and knowledge they will need to be able to referee grassroots football matches safely and effectively. It is for people aged 14 and over who want to referee mini soccer, 9 v 9 and/or 11 v 11 football.
The course comprises online learning on the Laws of the Game and face to face training. You must complete the online learning before attending the face to face training. You will also need to complete online safeguarding training before attending the face to face training.
Face to Face Training
There is 11 hours of face to face training (normally one evening, followed by a full day), which mixes training room work with practical activity on a pitch. Key messages from the online learning are reinforced throughout. The training room work includes:
• Fun, interactive quizzes
• How to establish rapport and build relationships with players and coaches
• Recognising and dealing with foul challenges and handball
• Managing offside
• Dealing with inappropriate behaviour
• Managing players
On the pitch, you will have the opportunity to turn your knowledge into skills through refereeing game based scenarios. You will practise:
• Communicating decisions
• Cautioning and sending off techniques
• Managing the kick off, free kicks, penalty kicks, corner kicks and throw-ins
• Positioning in open play and at restarts
• Being an assistant referee
Qualifying as a Referee
To qualify as a referee, you must also referee five games after you have attended the face to face training. You will then receive a certificate and an FA Referee badge.
You be supported through those five games by your County Football Association (CFA). As you continue your refereeing career, you will then be able to access further training opportunities, both online and face to face.
By enrolling onto this course you are accepting the Wiltshire County FA's Booking Terms and Conditions (Please Read Below)
- Places will only be reserved on receipt of an online booking and payment or completed application form and payment.
- Full refunds or transfer of a course can only be given if we receive at least 7 days’ notice of cancellation/request to transfer prior to the course start date. After this point refunds/transfer of course dates will not be provided although may be considered in extenuating circumstances.
- Please note that course prices, dates and venues may be subject to change during the year.
- Each course is subject to minimum numbers to run, the County FA reserves the right to cancel the course without prior notice and re-schedule for a later date.