FA REFEREES’ COURSE INFORMATION
The FA Referees’ Course provides an introduction to officiating 11v11 and 9v9 football. The course will introduce learners to The Laws of Association Football and their application, delivered through theory and practical elements and focussing on the knowledge, skills and attributes required to operate safely and effectively in grass roots football.
Unit 1: Pre-course learning (2 hours)
Unit 2: On-course theory and practical (7 hours)
Unit 3: On-course theory and practical (3 hours)
Unit 4: On-course theory and practical (7 hours)
Unit 5: Referee five matches
Unit 6: On-course final assessment (2 hours)
Through a mixture of theory and practical activity, learners will cover:
- Effective communication
- Positioning and movement
- Penalty kick and free kick management
- Managing re-starts
- Managing players
- Recognising and dealing with foul challenges
- Cautioning and sending-off procedure
- Dealing with substitutions
- Dealing with injuries
Learners must be 14 or over on the course start date.
Before refereeing their five matches (unit 5), leaners must have complied with the FA’s safeguarding requirements.
Upon successful completion of units 1-6, learners will be classified as either a Level Y referee (if aged 14 or 15) or a Level 7 referee (if aged 16 or over). The FA refereeing qualification is awarded only when all 6 units have been successfully completed.
Thursday 20th February & Friday 21st February | 9.30pm - 5pm.
- All candidates must attend all sessions in order to receive their certification.
- Candidates will receive course materials as well as basic equipment including Whistle, Match Cards & Notebook as well as Assistant Referee Flags.
- Anyone aged over the age of sixteen must complete a valid CRB check (Included) and attend a Safeguarding Children Workshop* (Not Included).
Shareable booking link:
Please note to access this online application, you will need a FAN (FA Number).
If have ever been involved in football or taken an FA Qualification, it is highly likely you already have a FAN. If you do not know your FAN or password, or need to create a FAN, please use our FAN FINDER tool by clicking to register/retrieve your details.
Please be aware that if you already have a FAN, and create another FAN, this could cause delays in being confirmed on the course and any qualifications being awarded.