Print friendly page
- Minimum Age: 14
- Course Duration: Minimum of 34 Guided Learning Hours
- Course Prerequisites: Completion of pre-course activity packNone
- Who is it for: This course is open to anyone who is interested in officiating 11 a side or 9 v 9 football.
- Course aims and objectives: The Referees Course provides participants with an insight to the laws of the game and their practical application on the field of play. It also looks at the skills required to be a referee.
- Leading to: Registered Referee Status (either level 8 Youth Referee or Level 7 Junior County Referee)
The course consists of 6 clear units with the following elements:
Unit 1 - Registration and Pre Course Activity
Unit 2-4 - Practical Delivery and Evaluation of Performance:
- The Key skills required to be a football referee
- Theoretical information of the 17 laws of the game
- Practical work covering implementation of the laws
- The art of Positioning and movement
- Management strategies and ideas on effective decision-making
- Effective reporting misconduct
- Evaluation of performance and Assessment Of Knowledge
Unit 5 - Officiating 5 games of 11v11 or 9v9 gamesAssessment of Experiences:
- Reviewing and receiving Feedback
Unit 6 - Final assessment/theory examination:
- Examination of knowledge of Laws Of The Game
- Plan for what happens next
PLEASE NOTE: The dates indicated on the course booking cover only the first 4 Units of learning. Unit 5 requires the candidate to track the practical implementation of their lessons in a match environment, and Unit 6, the Final Assessment, can only be completed once that has been evidenced.
Either the Safeguarding Football on line learning resource or where applicable the workshop will be completed. A CRC check will be instigated during the course, where applicable.
Practical Involvement: Candidates are required to participate practically to maximise their opportunities for learning.
Assessment: Assessment is via successful completing the Assessment of Knowledge (theory & practical) in Unit 6.
Suggested additional learning opportunities:
- FA Mini Football Referees Course
- Small Sided referee Course
- Futsal Referee Course
- Referee Mentoring Workshop
Equality: FA Learning will ensure that it treats people fairly and with respect and that it will provide access and opportunities for all members of the community to take part in, and enjoy, it's activities in an atmosphere free from harassment, bullying, discrimination or abuse. FA Learning will seek to provide a service which is appropriate to the needs of an individual and to make reasonable adjustments or provide support, where appropriate, to cater for those needs.
|Introduction||Monday 29th January||6.30pm-8.30pm ||CFA||Craig Skiffington||Craig Grundy|
|Day 1 ||Saturday 10th February||9-5pm||Barnsley College||Craig Skiffington||Mick Bell|
|Day 2||Sunday 11th February||9-5pm||Barnsley College||Craig Skiffington||Mick Bell|
|Examination||Tuesday 20th February||6.30pm-8.30pm ||Barnsley College||Craig Skiffington||Mick Bell|
NOTE: The introduction session and exam will take place at the County FA Offices, 204 Meadowhall Road, Sheffield, S9 1BN. The 2 main course dates will take place at Barnsley College, Honeywell Site, Barnsley, S75 1BP.
You will be expected to attend all sessions- No refunds will be given
If you are over the age of 16 you will be required to complete an FA CRC Check
FA Safeguarding Children
You will be required to complete FA Safeguarding Children Workshop prior to the examination
To qualify as a referee you will need to complete 6 11V11 or 9V9games of which these can be organised by yourself or the CFA.
The cost of the course is £120.
Please note to access this online application, you will need a FAN (FA Number).
If have ever been involved in football or taken an FA Qualification, it is highly likely you already have a FAN.
If you do not know your FAN or password, or need to create a FAN, please use our FAN FINDER tool by clicking to register/retrieve your details.
Please be aware that if you already have a FAN, and create another FAN, this could cause delays in being confirmed on the course and any qualifications being awarded.
If the FAN Finder says you haven't got a FAN, and you think you have, then please click here for a full guide on how to locate it.
Please enter your unique FAN and password below: