- Minimum Age: 14
- Course Duration: 24 hours plus 6 games
- Course Prerequisites: None
- Who is it for: Ideally suited to those wanting to become a referee involved in the 11 a side game both in Youth and Adult football.
- Course aims and objectives: This course will provide an introduction to the laws of the game as well as developing the practical skills required to be a football referee.
The course is run over 5 modules including the completion of 6 matches as a trainee referee, two of which should be observed by a referee coach.
The course can either be predominantly theory or practically based dependant on venue and can be run over a weekend or several sessions again depending on resources.
Module 1- Introduction
Laws of the Game
The role of the Referee
Consider the skills require to control a game of football.
This module will introduce some key aspects in the following:
Module 2- Practical Element
Warming up and cooling down activities
Positioning & movement at both set pieces & in open play
Managing game situations
Signals & communication techniques
Practical elements of the course will provide an introduction to:
FA Safeguarding Children workshop (included in the course programme)
Module 3 - Examination
Both a multiple choice examination paper and a practical on field assessment are used to establish theory & practical knowledge.
1. Written element - both theoretical & practical courses
2. Theory DVD - used in mainly theory based courses
3. Practical on field assessment for use on practical based courses.
Module 4 - Refereeing
6 games are used to establish both the knowledge as well as the practicalities of refereeing.
2 of the games are observed by a referee mentor who offers immediate feedback and development points.
Module 5 - The next Steps
FAL Online Laws of the Game
Learn the Laws CD ROM
1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Match Officiating
FAMOA Education Events
Referee Academies/ Schools of Excellence/ Referee Schools
A 3 hour workshop designed to reflect on a trainee referees first experiences of refereeing and to offer development pointers.
Re-assessment: Candidates can be re-examined within 1 month after completing the initial examination.
Refresher: Annual Referee and Training Development programme organised by County Football Associations for all new and existing referees.
Suggested additional learning opportunities:
Equality: FA Learning will ensure that it treats people fairly and with respect and that it will provide access and opportunities for all members of the community to take part in, and enjoy, it's activities in an atmosphere free from harassment, bullying, discrimination or abuse. FA Learning will seek to provide a service which is appropriate to the needs of an individual and to make reasonable adjustments or provide support, where appropriate, to cater for those needs.
West Witney Sports & Social Club
|Safeguarding Workshop||OFA HQ, Witney ||Wed 19th Sept 18||18:30||21:30|
|Main Tutoring Day 1||West Witney Club||Fri 21st Sept 18||18:30||21:30|
|Main Tutoring Day 2||West Witney Club||Sat 22nd Sept 18||09:00||17:00|
|Main Tutoring Day 3||West Witney Club||Sun 23rd Sept 18||09:00||17:00|
|Module 5||OFA HQ, Witney||Thurs 6th Dec 18||18:30||21:00|
All the Main Tutoring Days must be attended and the 5 Modules described above completed, to pass the course.
Candidates that are 16 and over will also need to complete the Safeguarding Children Workshop that will be held at The Oxfordshire Football Association Headquarters in Witney on Wednesday 19th September 2018.
Candidates that are 14-15 years old will have an online safeguarding course to complete before the first Main Tutoring Day.
The course price of £150 includes the 5 modules (including the 3 main tutoring days) described above and for candidates that are 16 and over, their place on the Safeguarding Children Workshop that will be held at The Oxfordshire Football Association Headquarters in Witney on Wednesday 19th September 2018.
If a learner can't attend one of the main tutoring days, fails to attend without notice or arrives sufficiently late for the tutor to refuse the place on the course due to the amount of content missed you will not be entitled to a refund. However, we may, at our discretion, look at the possibility of a transfer on to another course.
For candidates that are 16 and over and can't attend their place on the Safeguarding Children Workshop that will be held at The Oxfordshire Football Association Headquarters in Witney on Wednesday 19th September 2018 a transfer on to another Safeguarding Children Workshop can be arranged for a fee of £30.00
If you cancel your booking:
- More than 8 (eight) weeks prior to the scheduled start date of the Course, we will refund your booking fee less 33% of the sum;
- Between 8 (eight) weeks and 4 (four) weeks prior to the scheduled start date of the Course, we will refund your booking fee less 33% of the sum, plus an additional sum of £25.00 for course materials;
- Less than 4 (four) weeks prior to the scheduled start date of the Course, you will not be entitled to a refund, however, we may, at our discretion, agree to refund part of the booking fee.
Course transfer policy:
If you wish to transfer your booking on to another course more than 4 (four) weeks prior to the scheduled start date of this course a transfer fee of £20 will be applicable.
No transfers will be possible less than 4 (four) weeks prior to the scheduled start date of this course.
Booking Terms and Conditions
All course bookings are subject to Oxfordshire FA's Course Booking Terms and Conditions.
In booking a course you acknowledge that:
- You are fit to participate and acknowledge that you do so at your own risk
- Oxfordshire Football Association Ltd, its staff, or any authority which provides facilities, is under no liability in respect of any injury, which you may sustain.
- Oxfordshire Football Association do not accept liability for loss or damage to your personal possessions whilst you are
attending a Course. Candidates may wish to take out insurance for any valuable possessions that they bring with them.
- You are fully aware that photographs and footage may be taken by authorised OFA staff, and give your permission for this material to be used for promotional, marketing and internet purposes.
Please ensure you visit the link below to familiarise yourself with all the Course Booking Terms and Conditions before making your booking:
Oxfordshire FA Course Booking Terms & Conditions