Print friendly page
This is a three hour workshop for the pitch side first aider, which aims to provide the participant with:
- Knowledge and practical skills to be able to attend an unconscious player
- Knowledge and practical skills to be able to recognise and manage a player who is not breathing, including cardiopulmonary resuscitation and automated external defibrillation
- Knowledge of sudden cardiac arrest in football
- Knowledge and practical skills to recognise and apply immediate first aid to a number of medical conditions that pose a threat to life
- Knowledge of the requirements of emergency action planning for football
- Knowledge of the FA concussion guidelines and appropriate immediate management of the concussed player
The course is open to all with an interest in improving their emergency aid skills. The qualification is
valid for a period of three years.
The course will provide the learner with the knowledge and practical skills and an introduction to first aid that will enable them to attend a conscious or unconscious player, ensuring that appropriate care is given until the emergency medical services arrive and takeover, or until an alternative healthcare professional(s) assumes responsibility for the player.
On completion of the workshop, the learner will be able to:
- Recognise their role and responsibility as a nominated First Aider
- Identify the key components of an Emergency Action Plan (EAP)
- Identify best practice when summoning medical assistance, in terms of when, how and knowing what information is required
- Determine whether a player is conscious or unconscious and perform the correct procedure to open the airway
- Apply the correct techniques whilst performing chest compressions, rescue breathing and automated external defibrillation to a player suffering from a sudden cardiac arrest
- Discuss appropriate actions following an incident
- Recognise the signs and symptoms, and administer appropriate immediate first aid when dealing with a range of life threatening conditions that may present in football
- Emergency Action Planning for football
- Process Overview
- Pre-Activity Preparation
- Reacting to an Incident
- Approaching the Injured Player
- Primary Survey (A-E approach)
- CPR/AED (adults and children)
- Resuscitation CPR AED Algorithm for adults and children
- Heart Conditions and sudden cardiac arrest in football
- Asthma, anaphylaxis, catastrophic bleeding and airway problems
- Head Injury and concussion - The FA Concussion guidelines
- Dispelling the myths of first aid management
Learners must be at least 16 years of age
Have knowledge and understanding of The FA concussion guidelines (e-learning module completion)
Have knowledge, understanding and have completed The FA Sudden Cardiac Arrest (e-learning module completion)
Thursday 16th Apriln 2020 - 18:30pm-21:30pm
Full Course Price: £25.00
Venue: The Manchester College (Nichols Campus), Hyde Road, Ardwick, Manchester, M12 6BA
How to Apply
Do you have a FAN?
- No: Please use the ‘Don’t have a FAN number?’ function below to create a FAN. Once you have submitted your details in the pop-up box, you will receive a confirmation email which will include your newly created FAN. You will need to create a FAN before you book onto any of our courses online or via phone or email with Manchester FA,
- Yes: Please log in and make payment online to enrol
- Please Note: If you have been involved in grassroots football, it is likely you already have a FAN. Please check whether you have a FAN. If you have FORGOTTEN YOUR FAN DO NOT CREATE A NEW ONE. Your qualifications will be split across different profiles and it may harm your ability to enrol on courses in future.
Coach Education Terms & Conditions
- Candidate bookings will only be reserved on receipt of full payment.
- Credit and Debit Card payments are accepted with online and telephone bookings. Please visit www.manchesterfa.com for further details.
- Where clubs or other organisations have credit with MFA, authorisation must be given from the Club Secretary or nominated person to draw from these funds. MFA can provide updated account information upon request
- Candidates will receive a receipt via email once their booking has been confirmed.
- Candidates will receive written confirmation and further course information at least 7 days prior to the course.
- Candidates MUST attend all aspects of the course to be eligible for certification.
- If notification of a cancellation is received more than 14 days before the scheduled start date a refund will be issued.
- Cancellations less than 14 days before the scheduled start of the course will not be eligible for a refund.
- Any candidate who fails to attend and fails to inform the county FA will not be eligible for a refund or to transfer between courses.
- If notification of a transfer to an alternative course is received more than 10 days before the scheduled start of the initial course the learner can be transferred as requested
- If a learner wishes to transfer to an alternative course less than 10 days before the start of the initial course, the transfer will only be granted if a replacement learner is on a waiting list to take the place
- If a club notifies MCFA that a candidate from their club is unable to attend the course they are able to nominate another coach from the club to take the place, otherwise the above conditions apply
- A candidate may only transfer once between courses. Candidates who have transferred between courses will not be eligible for a refund if they are unable to attend even if this is more than 10 days before the start of the new course.
In the event of extenuating circumstances before or during the course, please contact Manchester FA on 0161 225 1966 or email email@example.com for further assistance.
Course Changes & MFA Cancellations
- MFA reserve the right to change the programme, the tutors, the venue or to reschedule an event without prior notice. Candidates will be advised of these changes as soon as possible. When notified of these changes’ candidates may either withdraw, with no liability for fees or transfer to another course of equal value with no charge.
- If there are insufficient numbers MFA reserve the right to cancel the course with at least 3 days’ notice.
I understand that MFA and their servants, agents and employees are not under any liability whatsoever in respect of personal injury, loss or damage however caused, while taking part in any activities of the Association.
Please note to access this online application, you will need a FAN (FA Number).
If have ever been involved in football or taken an FA Qualification, it is highly likely you already have a FAN.
If you do not know your FAN or password, or need to create a FAN, please use our FAN FINDER tool by clicking to register/retrieve your details.
Please be aware that if you already have a FAN, and create another FAN, this could cause delays in being confirmed on the course and any qualifications being awarded.
If the FAN Finder says you haven't got a FAN, and you think you have, then please click here for a full guide on how to locate it.
Please enter your unique FAN and password below: