This CPD event will cover the following topics:
- Understand your role in creating a fun and engaging environment that ultimately leads to lifelong enjoyment of the game
- Discover templates of small-sided games that help children learn how to make effective decisions
- Recognise the benefits of using a constraints-based approach to help guide players in their decision making and technical development
England DNA workshop (5-11): Mastering the basics
Date: 14th May 2020
Venue: Douglas Eyre Sports Centre Coppermill Lane Walthamstow Greater London E17 7HE
The Foundation Phase (FP) England DNA
Throughout the 2019/20 season, The FA will be working with our County FA (CFA) partners to better connect grassroots coaches across the country to our England DNA; the coaching and playing philosophy of all England teams.
This is an opportunity for us to make sure every young player enjoys their football. By working together, we can give boys and girls across the country the best experience possible in the game, and we can overcome the unique challenges that occur in different age groups.
In this series of workshops, we concentrate on the Foundation Phase (FP). We will tackle specific topics and themes designed around the needs of players aged 5-11 and their coaches.
What is this workshop about?
In this workshop we explore the key principles of the Foundation Phase. We look at the best ways to engage younger players and how to help them develop their skills on the ball.
Mastering the ball can be tough for younger players. Building confidence in possession is vital at this stage of a child’s development, we must give players as much time on the ball as we can in the foundation phase. This is a fundamental building block that all later development is built upon.
However, before we start working with our players, we need to know our players. Why do they play? What do they enjoy? What is their relationship with sport? Once we know the answers to these questions, we can introduce the right games and challenges for our team and tailor our sessions.
During this workshop we will explore these ideas in the classroom and through practical activities and games with children on the pitch.
What are the learning outcomes?
- Understand the coach’s role in creating a fun and engaging environment that ultimately leads to lifelong enjoyment of the game.
- Discover a template of small sided games that help children learn how to make effective decisions
- Recognise the benefits of using a constraints-based approach to help guide players in their decision making and technical development.
Please note to access this online application, you will need a FAN (FA Number).
If have ever been involved in football or taken an FA Qualification, it is highly likely you already have a FAN.
If you do not know your FAN or password, or need to create a FAN, please use our FAN FINDER tool by clicking to register/retrieve your details.
Please be aware that if you already have a FAN, and create another FAN, this could cause delays in being confirmed on the course and any qualifications being awarded.
If the FAN Finder says you haven't got a FAN, and you think you have, then please click here for a full guide on how to locate it.
Please enter your unique FAN and password below: