FA REFEREES’ COURSE INFORMATION
The FA Referees’ Course provides an introduction to officiating 11v11 and 9v9 football. The course will introduce learners to The Laws of Association Football and their application, delivered through theory and practical elements and focussing on the knowledge, skills and attributes required to operate safely and effectively in grass roots football.
Unit 1: Pre-course learning (2 hours)
Unit 2: On-course theory and practical (7 hours)
Unit 3: On-course theory and practical (3 hours)
Unit 4: On-course theory and practical (7 hours)
Unit 5: Referee five matches
Unit 6: On-course final assessment (2 hours)
Through a mixture of theory and practical activity, learners will cover:
- Effective communication
- Positioning and movement
- Penalty kick and free kick management
- Managing re-starts
- Managing players
- Recognising and dealing with foul challenges
- Cautioning and sending-off procedure
- Dealing with substitutions
- Dealing with injuries
Learners must be 14 or over on the course start date.
Before refereeing their five matches (unit 5), leaners must have complied with the FA’s safeguarding requirements.
Upon successful completion of units 1-6, learners will be classified as either a Level Y referee (if aged 14 or 15) or a Level 7 referee (if aged 16 or over). The FA refereeing qualification is awarded only when all 6 units have been successfully completed.
Venue: Cumbria Football Academy, Fellview, Inglewood Road, Penrith, Cumbria, CA11 8RP
Monday 16th August 2021
10.00am – 4.00pm
Tuesday 17th August 2021
10.00am – 4.00pm
Please note that attendance is required for both dates of the course.
Learners should NOT book onto the course without having first completed The FA’s Online Guide to the Laws of the Game and the appropriate Online Safeguarding Course.
- Online Guide to the Laws of the Game – the learning can be accessed free of charge via this link and guidance for under 16’s accessing it can be found via this link
- If the candidate is under 18, then please ensure that a parent or guardian has created a FA Number (FAN) and you have been linked together using https://myaccount.thefa.com If you need help creating a FAN click HERE to view the guide.
- Online Safeguarding Course – learners age 14 & 15 should complete the free ‘Safeguarding for All’ course. Learners age 16 and over should complete the ‘Safeguarding Course’, the fee is £30 and must be paid directly to The FA, it is not part of the Referee Course fee. Both courses are available via this link
When completing the above training and booking onto the course, please make sure you're logged in as the learner, not the parent.
- FA DBS Check – Learners aged 16 and over will also require an FA DBS check completed prior to refereeing in any game. Please contact Scott Taylor (Referee Development Officer on 07704 156781 or e-mail refsupport@CumberlandFA.com) as soon as you have confirmed your booking to arrange for the FA DBS check to be completed.
Candidates need to be suitably attired for the weather with football kits, appropriate footwear and shin pads for all external sessions, and should also bring along pen and paper to all sessions. It would also be advisable for you to bring along a change of clothes and a packed lunch.
***Cumberland FA Coach Education Cancellation Policy***
If you need to cancel your attendance on the course you should inform Cumberland FA immediately. All our courses are in demand and by not advising us you are preventing another candidate from attending.
If you cancel more than 2 weeks prior to the commencement of the course, a full refund will be issued. However, if you cancel after the 2 week deadline, no refund will be given. Consideration will be given to candidates who, for health reasons* or other extreme circumstances are unable to attend and require a transfer to another course. (*A letter from a doctor or medical professional must be supplied).
If you should decide to transfer to another course once your application has been submitted, there will be an additional administration charge of £15.00.
If you do not know your unique FAN as required below, then please e-mail refsupport@CumberlandFA.com for assistance.